Tuesday, May 16, 2017

All the Better to Chew On

I've been quite taken with the adorable silicone teether/pacifier leashes I've seen lately, and decided to try one of my own! Granted, it would have been cheaper to just purchase a single teether clip (they're about $10-$15 on Etsy), but how could I possibly find one with exactly the right combination of beads, rings, textures, and colors? I opted instead to purchase the materials and make one myself -- it's more fun that way, anyway!

I spent far, far too long browsing Etsy for just the right shop. I had no idea there were so many silicone bead options! I was determined to get a wooden hedgehog teether, and I finally found a shop that offered them along with the other kinds of beads I was interested in. When my Etsy cart came to a ridiculous total, I pared down my choices and ordered. I purchased my wood beads and rings from Amazon, because I found that to be cheaper (though now I have an abundance of wood rings and beads left over...).  I stuck to a relatively neutral spectrum of grey, black, and mint green, mixed with natural wood.





I used a tutorial from Chomp Chew Bead Design. I'm not exactly sure how I'd planned to assemble the teether, but I'm so glad I thought to search for a tutorial! Safety was definitely a concern for me with such small beads, but their method seems quite secure (and of course, adult supervision is the best preventative measure!). I was surprised how strong the satin cord is, and didn't realize that it would fit doubled through the beads.





Figuring out a pattern with the beads I'd assembled was the next challenge -- but a most enjoyable one! I adjusted a bit part way through, and am so happy with the final design. I was trying not to make the teether too crazy, but I think there's enough variety of color/shape/size/texture without going overboard (even as I write this, I'm laughing at myself a little because who cares that much about a baby's teether leash?! *wink*). I really wanted a few "loose" rings as an extra teething/entertainment help, so I added those to the center -- they're far too small to fit over the grey crochet beads, so they won't present a choking hazard.

All that was left was the hedgehog teether at the end (which can be replaced with a pacifier if needed). I have plenty of beads left over, so I can make more as gifts, or perhaps make a dedicated stroller toy (you attach clips to both ends, so it can clip across a stroller. So clever!).





Hopefully our little guy will like his teether as much as I do! Not that I imagine we'll appreciate it in quite the same way...

4 comments:

  1. This doesn't appear safe to me. It's a whimsy design, and I'd buy it myself, but as a teether I'd presume there are safer options out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was skeptical, at first -- but having tested the cord myself, I can't get it to break even when using full strength. :-) Like anything for babies, nothing trumps good ol' adult supervision.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. As long as the paints/dyes used on the beads and cord are "edible" I can't imagine why this won't be as safe as any other that I have seen. Very cute and I love that it is so personalized! Congratulations on another success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica,

      Thank you for your kind comment, and the vote of confidence -- you truly brightened my day! :-) The natural/unfinished wood and food-grade silicone are what appealed to me about these, as I prefer those to plastics. I'm curious to see how my little guy likes it.

      Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!