Monday, August 15, 2016

Ye Olde Historical Jaunt -- Agecroft Hall

During a recent getaway, my husband and I visited Agecroft Hall in Richmond. Ever since I came across it while doing vacation research, I'd been so eager to see it for myself. An English Tudor manor dismantled and then rebuilt in Richmond in the 20's? Yes, please! 





And a lovely visit it was, in spite of the sweltering heat. We had the tour guide all to ourselves, and she was so friendly! The house was not reconstructed exactly as it was in England (it's now a "mere" 20,000 sq. ft. instead of the original 60,000), but it was built with the original timbers, hardware, and even windows. 




Pablo has never been to England, and it's been almost a decade for me -- so it was a delight not only to experience it myself but also to share a bit of Britain with him. I am quite determined that he will fall in love with England! Whether he wants to or not... *wink*




But really, what's not to love? I wish I could share photos of the inside, but you can find a few on their website or a Google search. So, so lovely! The house is filled with gorgeous period antiques, though the library is set up as it would have been when the original owners lived there. There was even a portrait of Lancelot Andrewes, a gentleman I seem to have been "stalking" since my college days -- first studying him because of his influential role in the translation of the King James Bible, then later stumbling across his tomb (not literally, fortunately!) in Winchester cathedral while visiting Jane Austen's final resting place. And now, an original portrait of the gentleman in Richmond, of all unlikely places.




The grounds were also beautiful! I'd love to come back again in cooler weather -- both Fall, and Spring, I think, to enjoy the particular beauties of each of those seasons. 




Here's the lovely oriel window in the library  -- I am amazed that so many of the original windows (including a massive window with stained glass) survived the dismantling, Atlantic journey, and re-assembly!








So if you're craving a bit of England and a jaunt across the Atlantic is not an option, perhaps you can make it to Richmond -- if you do, let me know, because I'm looking for another excuse to visit!


4 comments:

  1. Wow! This looks like such a neat place to visit. I think it is amazing how they used to dismantle homes and then rebuild them in other countries. It is truly a taste of England right in your home state! : )

    I am currently enjoying a series of books set in Williamsburg, VA and the surrounding area. Funny enough one of the characters had a home brought from England to VA. I now suspect Agecroft Hall was her inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mere thought of taking a house -- or rather, a mansion! -- apart and then reassembling it is mind-boggling. If I think about it too much, my brains starts to object! ;-) And that is so funny about the character in your book series; it would certainly be a strange "coincidence" if Agecroft was the author's inspiration.

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete
  2. Shannon - this is a gift! Thank you. I have a friend who has just relocated to Richmond, VA. I know she'll enjoy this as I hope to do sometime in the future. And a question for the previous poster - are the books you referenced by chance the Williamsburg novels by Elswyth Thane? Shannon, if you do not know these, you must read them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this was helpful to you, and hopefully your friend, as well! I feel like it's a hidden gem (though perhaps I'm just not familiar with the Richmond area). There's also a beautiful Victorian house with a zoo (?!) just down the street called Maymont; I've heard excellent things, and hope to visit sooner rather than later.

      I'd be curious to know the name of the Williamsburg books, as well! I'll have to check out Elswyth Thane -- thanks for the recommendation!

      Cheers,
      Shannon

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts! Thank you so much for stopping by!